Re: wireless geolocation

2017-06-08 21:52:56
We should be clear what problem we're trying to solve.  Randy Bush's
original posting was about geolocation using BSSID's belonging to Wifi
AP's.  This is typically done on mobile devices, although I suppose
some browsers could be querying the OS for Wireless BSSID's.
So in classic IETF fashion, if this is something where someone wants
to start a wg or a BOF, it would be helpful if the scope of the
problem is very clearly defined.  :-)

i did try.  to be honest, the (to be polite) broad ranging discussion is
about what i expected.  i thought it worth the try.  the good side is
that it gave so many people an opportunity to show how smart they are.

in the meantime, the noc will work it as best we can.  as google has
already relocated, phones will generally work.  some cdns have
relocated.  as to the rest, you'll have to excuse me if i rofl when
anyone whines that they are in chicago or seoul or whatever.

randy