mharc-users

Re: A few setup questions

2003-09-29 11:09:00
On September 29, 2003 at 11:55, Mike Bailey wrote:

Currently, mharc does not support weekly or daily periods.  I have
not decided on the filenaming nomenclature to use for such periods.
Suggestions are welcome.

I'm not sure exactly which file names need modifying.  Are you
referring to ones like the mbox and html files which are currently
yyyy-mm?  Are there other file names that need to be changed with a
change in the dates?

Period settings affects the following:

* Filenames: For mailbox and for directory names in HTML archives
* Period navigation: The prev/next periods are handled by a CGI
  program, which actually determines prev/next by filenames.
* Top index listing for each archive: A complete list of all periods
  are given.
* Procmail filtering: The period setting affects what strftime() format
  string to give to extract_mesg_date script.
* Mailbox compression, and any other script that processing archive
  mailbox files and directories: These scripts would need to be
  updated to recognize any new period notations.

The main problem is period sorting.  Mharc needs to be able to sort
periods properly, even if there are different period types for the
same archive.  For example, an archive could start with a yearly
period and then switch to monthly if traffic increases.

The only real problem is supporting a weekly period.  The ISO notation
of YYYY-W## does not go well when having to sort with other period
formats.  For implementing weekly periods, I am leaning towards using
the Monday date of each week for filenames.  For example, for all
messages for the week of Sept 29, 2003 to Oct 5, 2003, they would be
put in the period 2003-09-29.

Therefore, doing a basic sort can be done.  This method would require
that the extract_mesg_date would need to be modified to support
the ability to compute the last Monday for a given date.

--ewh