mhonarc-dev

Re: Format=flowed

2002-11-01 15:00:24
On November 1, 2002 at 19:46, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

You can use the quoteclass=classname option to the mhtxtplain.pl
filter to define the CLASS attribute for the blockquote elements,

I know, but I'm talking about the whole body part of the message.

I guess I misunderstand your goals.  With the quoteclass, you
can get the desired effects you want:

blockquote.<classname> {
  font-family: monospace;
  border-left: #0000FF solid 0.1em;
  margin: 0em;
  padding-left: 1.0em;
}

I do see potential benefits of wrapping entities with a DIV element.
But it then opens up some questions:

  1. What about the other filters?  Should all filters wrap there
     content in a DIV element?
  2. What classnames should be used?  Should there be standard fixed
     ones, or customizable ones?

For (1), if it is done in mhtxtplain.pl, it should be done for all.
It then provides the ability to customize the appearance of different
entity types.

As for (2), the standard names have to be something that you generally
be unique.  Examples:

  mhaExternal
  mhaMessageExternalBody
  mhaTextEnriched
  mhaTextHtml
  mhaTextPlain
  mhaTextSetext
  mhaTextTsv

Or, to be more stuctured, base upon the actual media type of the
content, and define multiple classes.  For example, if the data
is image/jpeg, the following would be generated:

This way, a stylesheet can use the more generic classnames to provide
styles for all image types, or use the more specific name to have
different styles for different image types.  Example:

div.mha_entity {
  // ... styles for all entities ...
}
div.mha_image {
  // ... styles for all image entities ...
}
div.mha_image.mha_jpeg {
  // ... styles for all image/jpeg entities ...
}

Such a feature would probably have to be implemented at the readmail.pl
level.  It also raises some technical implementation issues about
filters that call other filters.  I would probably need a public
readmail function for invoking a filter so semantics like above
can be encapsulated.

Now, a question worth asking is if by default a fixed font should
be used for format=flowed, even for the flowed text, similiar to
how Mozilla renders format=flowed messages.

As I mentioned the other day, I don't think Mozilla does wrong. If I
have understood it correctly, RFC2646 includes rules for wrapping and
unwrapping flowed paragraphs etc., but it does not prescribe any
specific font type.

I agree that there is no requirement about fonts, especially since
there are text-based MUAs.

So the question is if fixed should be always be used by default.
If the nonfixed option is specified, then proportional font will be
used, but it will also be applied for non-flowed chunks.

Does anyone have experience with other GUI clients besides Mozilla
that are format=flowed aware and how they render the data?

--ewh