mhonarc-users

Problem Running MHonArc with Cron

1996-01-22 12:17:52
Using MHonArc, I create hypertext archives of three different mailing
lists that I let people see.  I'm using Procmail to detect and
route the messages to the proper IN.* file (I use the "mbox" option
on MHonArc), and then use cron to check once an hour to see if
there any new messages in the appropriate IN.* file.

For some strange reason (which could be more related to cron than
MHonArc, but I'm not sure), on two of the lists MHonArc is actually
invoked every hour, whether or not the IN.* file has been updated.
The third one works as I expect, that is, MHonArc actually runs (and
updates the msg*.*, threads.html, and maillist.html files) only when
it detects that there are new messages.

I've gone over the respective *.rc files for each archive, and
they're virtually identical.  I'm invoking MHonArc from cron in
exactly the same way (with the same options) on all of the lists,
using the "quiet" option.

This "rerunning" is a problem, because I'm letting my users know the
date when the archive was last updated using the "flastmod"
server-side include function, and on the two malfunctioning lists it
always shows that the archive was updated today, even though the
most recent message may be days ago.

Anybody have any ideas as to what might be happening?  I'd
appreciate all help and advice as to how to diagnose the problem.
Thanks.

Jerry Werner