mhonarc-users

Re: Problem Running MHonArc with Cron

1996-01-23 09:53:49
Achim and Earl,

Thanks for your help.  Here are answers to your questions:

[from Achim Bohnet]

Hmm, strange. Could you post more infos:

     - what operating system, mhonarc and perl version
BSDI 2.0, MHonArc 1.1.0, perl 4 patch level 36

     - crontab entries
(See below)

     - ls -l IN.* files
-rw-------  1 itsol  bizaccnt  334586 Jan 20 12:31 IN.dot
-rw-------  1 itsol  bizaccnt  217602 Jan 22 16:50 IN.transpl
-rw-------  1 itsol  bizaccnt  134146 Jan 23 02:45 IN.itsl

     - .procmailrc rules used
VERBOSE=on
DEFAULT=$HOME/xtramail/itsol
MAILDIR=$HOME/public-web/mha
PMDIR=$HOME/public-web/mha
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/transpl/rc.transplmin
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/dot/rc.dot1
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/itsl/rc.itsl1

     - are all mailing list served localy of by someone else
I'm not quite sure what you mean.  All of the mailing lists
themselves come from elsewhere -- I just subscribe to them.

     - url of the 3 archives
http://www.itsonline.com/transpl/threads.html
http://www.itsonline.com/dot/threads.html
http://www.itsonline.com/itsl/threads.html
(These are symbolically linked to the repositories)

[from Earl Hood's message]
Using MHonArc, I create hypertext archives of three different mailing
lists that I let people see.  I'm using Procmail to detect and
route the messages to the proper IN.* file (I use the "mbox" option
on MHonArc), and then use cron to check once an hour to see if
there any new messages in the appropriate IN.* file.

For some strange reason (which could be more related to cron than
MHonArc, but I'm not sure), on two of the lists MHonArc is actually
invoked every hour, whether or not the IN.* file has been updated.
The third one works as I expect, that is, MHonArc actually runs (and
updates the msg*.*, threads.html, and maillist.html files) only when
it detects that there are new messages.

I've gone over the respective *.rc files for each archive, and
they're virtually identical.  I'm invoking MHonArc from cron in
exactly the same way (with the same options) on all of the lists,
using the "quiet" option.

Could you post how you are invoking mhonarc via cron?  This may
help.

 [some deleted)

      --ewh

Here's the crontab file I'm using

45  *  *  *  *  /usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/mhonarc -mbox -add
-quiet -maxsize 40 -rcfile
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/transpl/transpl2.rc -outdir
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/transpl
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/transpl/IN.transpl

50  *  *  *  *
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/mhonarc -mbox -add -quiet -maxsize 40
-rcfile /usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/dot/dot1.rc -outdir
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/dot
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/dot/IN.dot

/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/mhonarc -mbox -add -quiet -maxsize 40
-rcfile /usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/itsl/itsl1.rc -outdir
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/itsl
/usr/u/i/itsol/public-web/mha/itsl/IN.itsl

The first two mailing lists (transpl and dot) have the problem
described above.  The last list (itsl) works fine, that is, MHonArc
only runs when there's a new message in IN.itsl.

Again, thanks for any ideas or recommendations.

Jerry Werner