mhonarc-users

Re: corrupted database file

1996-11-12 10:02:45
I was running MHonArc 1.2.3 on a Sun platform running SunOS 4.1.4 using
PERL 4. I can HTML'ify a mail folder without complaint from MHonArc. I
then add messages singly by having sendmail pipe them to MHonArc:

p2tech-mharchive: "|/usr/local/bin/mhonarc -add -outdir \
/project/wwwhome/glin/lists/p2tech/96"

Eventually, the database gets corrupted and messages can no longer be added.

I installed MHonArc 2.0a2 and pointed it at our PERL5.002 installation. I
HTML'ified the mail folder without complaint. Messages were added for a
while but eventually the database was corrupted again and messages are no
longer processed.

Any ideas on how to track down the problem? Has anyone else experienced
such a problem?

You can simulate the situation by writing a test script to pipe
messages to mhonarc as sendmail would.  You may need to run script as
the uid sendmail would run under (ie. permissions check).  Through a
test script, you should be able to see if any errors will occur.
For example, if mhonarc terminates due to a fact it cannot read/write
a file, the archive may become corrupted and no longer suitable for
future processing (if temp files are left around in the archive,
then there was a problem).  BTW, the test script should fork mhonarc
processes so you can simulate muliple messages coming in at the
same time.  This tests the archive locking behavior.

It looks like an error log support is needed for mhonarc.  Something
to add to the todo list.