mhonarc-users

Re: Multiple Archives

1996-12-16 20:54:48
To:            "Wilt" <icwilson(_at_)vossnet(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Cc:            mhonarc(_at_)rosat(_dot_)mpe-garching(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de
Subject:       Re: Multiple Archives
Date:          Thu, 12 Dec 1996 07:05:28 -0800
From:          Earl Hood <ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu>

E.g. First I convert newsgroup A. using an rcfile to give it its own

Then I convert newsgroup B using the -add option, and an rcfile to
give new thread index filename.

However the second thread index contains all the messages of the
first newsgroup, which I don't want.

The problem is that you are still working with the same
archive.  Changing the index name does not cause a different
archive to be created.

I can't convert the groups separately and store them in different
directories, as my ISP free web space comes as a single directory.

That seems strange.

One last thing, is it possible to change the default filename for
messages. e.g msg0000.html to new0000.html

Only programmably, but is a nice feature to add.  If you could, you
can do what you want.  You already can give a different name to the
database file (by default ".mhonarc.db") via the DBFILE resource.
If you can change message prefixes, you can have multiple archives
in a single directory.

BTW, you should be able to create subdirectories of your home
directory.  If you can create files, you would have to be on one
screwing system to not be able to create directories.  Just create
a directory for each newsgroup you want archive and use the
-outdir option to specify the appropriate directory.

      --ewh

Using the rcfile to change the name of the db file worked.
I now have separate thread index pages for each newsgroup, with all
the files in one directory.

I know it seems clunky, but thats the way my ISP does it.

Check out www.geocities.com for an example of 'flat' free web space.

When I first joined my ISP, free web space was very unusual, and when
they started their's I was quite suprised. Now it seems to be the
norm. Hopefully the competition will prompt them into giving proper
FTP access and cgi-bin support.

Visit me at http://village.vossnet.co.uk
The World is your Lobster - Del Trotter