mhonarc-users

Re: Email address harversters?

1997-12-05 14:33:41
Is there any reason to be concerned about spammers 'harvesting'
email addresses from WWW archives? Any good defenses?

A colleague just sent me a URL about a program called wpoison which
generates dummy pages with phony addresses for automatic harvesters.
I don't know how good it is, but I just installed it at
http://ecology.bio.dfo.ca/cgi-bin/harvest.cgi and it seems to function
as advertised. If there is interest I'll find the URL for the list.

Bill

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Bedford Institute of Oceanography,
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Tel. (902)426-1577