mhonarc-users

AltaVista removes archive sites

1997-12-08 06:26:34
Bad news for mailing lists archive site administrators.

Just doing a research on AltaVista, I surprisingly noticed
that the sites I'm currently administrating had been removed
from AltaVista indexes.

After reading AltaVista FAQ, it seems that they had
implemented some software which automatically removes every
site which have "a lot" of links pointing to the same URL.
They did it to avoid some sites to be overindexed within
their archives.

When archiving with MHonArc there is obviously as many links
to the Thread or Date Index 1st page as the number of messages.
It appears that it's too much for AltaVista.

I'd like to know if others had encountered this issue and what
did you do to fix it?

Thanks and bye,

---
Bernard Frit