mhonarc-users

Re: MHonarc problems

1998-01-09 18:05:20
On Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:53:52 -0800 Earl Hood
<ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Maybe.  If your mail traffic is heavy, to many mhonarc processes could
be competing to access the archive.  You either need to adjust the
LOCKTRIES and LOCKDELAY resources, or do batch updates of the archive
via a cron job.  I believe several users do this over automatic archive
updates because of heavy traffic.

Actually, I'm archiving in realtime and batch becomes a bit messy.  I'll up the
number of LOCKTRIES and LOCKDELAY.

Doing batch updates will also reduce overall CPU load.

Any issues with the archives being written to an NFS partition?

It could slow things down depending on your network load.  MHonArc
does not use flock/lockf so NFS should be okay.  The mhonarc.lck
file (which is actually a directory) seems to work for all
platforms and avoids NFS limitations.

That's what I thought.

Another interesting item. The same archive exhibiting the locking issue has
1170+ mail entries, but the maillist.html file is 53MB+!!!!  In contrast, the
threads files is only 162K.  I can't seem to account for the file being so
large.  Ideas?

=========
bep