mhonarc-users

Re: Reversing MHonArc

1998-06-09 13:41:36
On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:02:57 -0700
Earl Hood<ehood(_at_)hydra(_dot_)acs(_dot_)uci(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On June 8, 1998 at 10:15, J C Lawrence wrote:
Does anyone here have a tool which will (attempt to) generate
original message texts from MHonArc's HTML-ised versions?

Not that I know of.  It is possible, but it can be complicated if
you try to deal with MIME decoded messages.

So I have noticed on initial scan.  <grumble>

I am looking to take over archiving of a mailing list from a
previous archiver who didn't keep a copy of the original message
sources.  I'd like to regenerate the HTML with additional indexes
as well as my own look'n'feel.

You can still take the existing archives and create your
look-and-feel by applying your resources via the -editidx option.

Oooo!  Danke!  Will investigate.  I utterly missed this option in my
doc readings.

Additionally I've been asked to attempt to generate an mbox version
of the contents of a MHonArc archive to send to the FindMail guys
to extend their archive of a mailing list further back.

Why?  Why provide work for them to where they can profit from it?
Aren't they a commercial group that makes money by advertising?

The list in question currently considers them the "official" archive
for the list, and TPTB have been agitating for the archives at
FindMail to be more compleat.

That, and their search features suck mouldy rocks.

--
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw(_at_)null(_dot_)net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder(_at_)ibm(_dot_)net