mhonarc-users

attachment names and "Message Not Available"

1998-09-15 19:29:10

Hi all,

Guess I'm on a roll (rut?) with MHonArc suggestions; I'm feeling
guilty not having contributed any code at all, yet making all sorts of
suggestions.

Here goes with two more. Do these make sense? (Note I looked through
the archive and didn't see discussion on either of these, but may have
missed it.)

Jeff

(1)
It would be nice to be able to stifle "Message Not Available" messages
in the thread index. This would slightly beautify thread indexes, and
many archive perusers don't actually care if some message is not
available.

(2) Mime handling is great with MHonarc. However many Mime objects get
named files with things like 000432.bin. I would prefer, from a
usuability standpoint, to have the files stored under their attachment
name, for a couple of reasons.

First, some OS's like Windows put great significance on file name
attachments. Imagine a Windows person browsing a set of archives.
Having the .doc extension on a Microsoft Word document
renamed .bin turns a one step click-and-view into a multistep
renaming process.

I guess my first preference would be actually keeping the attachment
names, so I guess putting attachments in a subdirectory per message
would be required to avoid name space collisions. Not doing that,
I'd much rather see a naming scheme like 000432.doc 000433.xls so
at least browser and server Mime typing will work correctly.