mhonarc-users

Re: GIF's not inline ?

1998-11-13 14:28:18
This is for you to be straight with your user base on.

You should not look to technicians for an answer, nor assume that
the answer has to be one rule internet-wide.

You are messing with their messages but it is their messages.  If
they really want the images inline in the archive, there are two
ways to get their.  They all learn to use their mailers in
squeaky-clean MIME fashion or you bash attachments to INLINE for
purposes of the archive.  So long as the list membership are
advised and you don't get an outcry there, you should not be too
fastidious in the handling of headers that after all are but an
encoding of what the mail client thought the users's wishes were.
In a small group like a mailing list you can appeal in natural
language to the users themselves and work accordingly.

Al

to follow up on what Christopher Lindsey said:
From owner-mhonarc(_at_)ncsa(_dot_)uiuc(_dot_)edu  Wed Nov 11 14:06:08 1998
From: Christopher Lindsey <lindsey(_at_)ncsa(_dot_)uiuc(_dot_)edu>
Subject: Re: GIF's not inline ?
To: ehood(_at_)erols(_dot_)com (Earl Hood)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:05:26 -0600 (CST)
Cc: holzapfel(_at_)igd(_dot_)fhg(_dot_)de,
mhonarc(_at_)ncsa(_dot_)uiuc(_dot_)edu
Sender: owner-mhonarc(_at_)ncsa(_dot_)uiuc(_dot_)edu

The Content-Disposition setting takes precedence over what arguments
are specified for the filter.  The "inline" option tells the filter
how to treat the graphic if no Content-Disposition is specified.
In sum, if the Content-Disposition states the data as an "attachment",
then only a link to the data is given, even if the data is an image.

So is it evil to preprocess my messages via procmail and change
Content-Disposition to "inline" instead of "attachment" before
sending it to MHonArc?

I archive a list called 'iris-photos' that consists solely of photographs
of irises for identification, classification, and breeding purposes.
Everybody wants these images to be inline, but most people there think that
MIME refers to non-talkative folks with pasty faces.  I've been successfully
converting attachment to inline (although I noticed that 'inline' has to
all be on one line to work:

whereas 'attachment' can be separated:

I basically join the two lines together and s/attachment;/inline;/ it.

Chris

P.S.  This is only on message for the archives -- I don't mess with
      any outgoing mail, etc.