On June 13, 1999 at 20:51, jeff(_at_)alum(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu wrote:
I would like to be able to use, for example, a subroutine which
performs rot11 on the local part, rotates the entire local part two
characters to the right, and leaves the domain name untouched.
Who is the adversary? Would DES be a better choice?
Note, I have added a resource called ADDRESSMODIFYCODE which will allow
you to modify the displayed email addresses in message headers. Note,
it does not affect the URL portion, that is controlled by MAILTOURL.
With the new resource variable additions, one can split the local-part
and domain part so address harvesters will not get the addresses in
I'll try to send a follow-up message this evening on what the effects
of SPAMMODE will have in the next release.
Hm, if you profiled it, I'd like to see the results.
I didn't use a profiler - I just plotted times from a log file. There
was a dot for each run of MHonArc and they all lined up in a straight
I just did a profile of my MH inbox (237 messages) at work:
Total Elapsed Time = 28.55217 Seconds
User Time = 21.96185 Seconds
%Time ExclSec CumulS #Calls sec/call Csec/c Name
20.5 4.516 8.900 8921 0.0005 0.0010 mhonarc::replace_li_var
14.1 3.110 3.110 15 0.2073 0.2073 base64::b64decode
12.8 2.827 2.894 35 0.0808 0.0827 m2h_text_html::filter
9.27 2.035 2.072 314 0.0065 0.0066 m2h_text_plain::filter
7.00 1.538 1.528 642 0.0024 0.0024 readmail::MAILread_header
5.65 1.240 1.387 4079 0.0003 0.0003 readmail::MAILdecode_1522_str
5.59 1.228 1.124 5595 0.0002 0.0002 mhonarc::compute_msg_pos
5.41 1.188 6.827 237 0.0050 0.0288 mhonarc::output_mail
5.24 1.151 21.857 505 0.0023 0.0433 readmail::MAILread_body
4.86 1.068 1.065 238 0.0045 0.0045 readmail::MAILread_file_header
3.13 0.687 1.802 266 0.0026 0.0068 mhonarc::htmlize_header
2.27 0.499 0.305 10267 0.0000 0.0000 mhonarc::get_time_from_index
2.18 0.479 0.325 8158 0.0001 0.0000 readmail::load_charset
2.04 0.449 0.628 3 0.1498 0.2094 mhonarc::BEGIN
1.82 0.399 0.334 3461 0.0001 0.0001 mhonarc::exclude_field
This is MHonArc v2.3.3, Perl 5.005_02 on a SUNW,Ultra-5_10 running
Solaris 2.6 with 256M of RAM.
Since some of the mail has binary attachments, base64::b64decode
shows up as number 2. For normal mailing lists, base64::b64decode
may never be called since binary attachments are not too common.
I'll try to do some runs on machine at home this evening. It is a PII
350 running Linux and will out perform the Sun even though it only has
128M of RAM (btw, RAM is not an issue unless swapping occurs). I'll
try do some tests doing subject and author sorting since I have made
modifications to the sorting code which should significantly improve
subject and author sorting. I'll compare the times to MHonArc v2.3.3.
Note, performance will vary depending on your data. If there are alot
of binary attachments, you'll take a hit. Also, if there is alot of
non-latin-1 data, there can be a significant performance hit. If your
data is normally non-latin-1, you may want to look into the
DECODEHEADS, CHARSETCONVERTERS, and the "asis" option to the