mhonarc-users

Re: Question re Manual Install

2002-09-04 15:21:31
Thanks for your comments, Earl.

Earl Hood wrote:
On September 4, 2002 at 17:52, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
I have to say that I think Earl is kind of exaggerating the difficulties.

I do not think I was "exaggerating" the difficulties.

Well, that was the impression I had, but don't let us argue about it. ;-)

A potential snag is if the hosting service uses a chrooted environment
for the web server that differs from ftp access (i.e. the directory
paths were different between the web server and the ftp server).
I've have correspondance with one user in the past where this was
the case.

Hmm.. Some hosting services seem to do anything to make things more difficult for their customers. :(

You may want to have a test operation for you CGI program that checks
that things will work properly.  For example, the program blindly does:

  require 'mhamain.pl';
In general, I
would wrap the main block for the CGI program in an eval block so
any die()'s are caught.

Principally I agree, but an easier way to achieve the same thing is to explicitly add a few die statements and:

   use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';

I wrote the script for my own use, but since I mention it on this list from time to time, I guess I should clean up the code, including preventing "Internal Server Error" messages on the screen...

/ Gunnar