mhonarc-users

Re: CPU load

2003-07-21 22:03:36
On July 18, 2003 at 10:27, Wilhelm Alm wrote:

~# top
for a mhonarc process of 99% as a "peak" value and 20% of memory usage.
My concern is that other tasks as a shoping cart are delayed when I am
using mhonarc with a higher data volume.

If possible, you should use separate systems for archive processing
and things like a shopping cart.  Especially if your archives are
large and/or you are using a search indexing tool.

1. How to measure the "average" CPU load?
When I try to use a longer period for refreshing as
~# top s d60
I estimated a average value. but I got no value for a mhonarc process.
Is _top_ only a peak measure tool or may I use it to get a average
value?

You should probable direct such questions to a Linux/unix system forum.

2. How to control priority?
When I use a cron job to trigger, I might reduce the priority of the
mhonarc process by _NICE_.
But how may I adjust the priority of the normal tasks as background
indexing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "indexing".  You should be able to
use the nice program to start programs with a given priority.