Re: folder-specific defaults? [long]

2002-07-03 23:56:24

earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com said:
Allow folder specific component files to be located in a centralized
location.  For example, if I wanted a custom "scan.monthly" format
file for my inbox, I would create a file with a pathname of `mhpath`/
scan.monthly.inbox.  It does get ambiguous with sub-folders since '/'
cannot be a pathname (maybe tranlate '/' to '.').

Why not use a directory structure? By default we let the directory
structure correspond with your folders, but you can use an extra
step. So use ~/Mail/comps/company/replcomps for mail belonging to
folder ~/Mail/company/.

- As soon as you do this you don't have automatic public folder
  comps-file sharing anymore
- This would work for other storage methods, although this wouldn't
  store the files in your IMAP or whatever database yet. You could
  easily build something for that if you wanted to.
- This also allows extra management of your defaults. You could use
  a tree of comps files for 2 different situations, and switch with
  commandline flags for example.

Tob