Re: folder-specific defaults? [long]

2002-07-03 23:50:35

jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com said:
I haven't actually tried your code, so I might be on the wrong track
here... still, I've got some comments about c.  Instead of recursive
search upwards, can we assume that people who want to use this feature
 would simply make *links* (hard or soft), from whatever folders they
create, into a master copy (somewhere) of the component files they
want  to use in that folder?  It seems to me that a link is a fine way
to  propagate particular components files to the folder(s) where
they're  wanted.

Depends. The way I use it, I have 368 folders. I don't want to manage
the comps files for those folders by hand. For example, for stuff related
to my company neatech, I have  a folder with subfolders per project. I
often create these folders on the fly. Having to symlink more than 5
files for each mbox creation would get annoying, ensuring I would forget
stuff. Even more, I create archive folders automatically for mailing
lists, and some other folders, like 'folder/y2002/m07/d04'. To still
be able to reply correctly from such a folder would require auto-
symlinking loads of comps files. I just like inheritance.

This inheritance does mean that nmh expects the structure of your folders
to correspond more or less with the structure of your comps files needs.

jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com said:
Using links (instead of a recursive search upwards) would also  let
people *block* the feature (and use the default components files in
the nmh directory, I guess), in any particular subfolders where they
want to.

Linking a subfolders compsfiles to the default would allow you to do the
same in a different way.

jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com said:
Still, there *are* times when using components in a public folder
would be good.

I think they would even be especially useful, just more dangerous
security-wise.

Tob