Re: folder-specific defaults? [long]

2002-07-07 19:17:15
This is a good point.  I wonder if Tobias' feature belongs in a future
release of nmh, where we'd have time to discuss things like the
fascinating question Earl brought up: what about IMAP?  I had a few
major questions and concerns in my own long reply.  There's a lot that
nmh needs to do to catch up with changes in the email world since MH was
created in the mid-20th century.

I think that IMAP is doable, if the work can be put into it.  I don't think
you're going to get _all_ of nmh's features, but scan/show/rmm/refile
should be relatively simple.

It would be a *real* shame to break nmh's programmability, or some
feature that's useful but obscure, by not discussing and testing it
thoroughly.  Once people start to use a new feature, there'll be
resistance to backing out a poor implementation and (re-)doing it right.
 I'm not saying that Tobias would implement something poorly, just that
it's hard to get very new and fundamental changes right without lots of
thought and testing...

Ken, is it too soon to start a development branch for nmh-2.0 (or 5.0 :)?

Heh, my feeling is put it all on the head, and if it's a real problem, we
can back it out on a release branch.