Re: Questions about nmh 1.1

2002-07-08 09:19:34
On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:54:50 -0400
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil> wrote:

I had hoped to see APOP in this list among other things

Well ... shoot.  I was under the impression that APOP is on it's way out
to be replaced by the CRAM-MD5 mechanism that SASL uses.  But I just
checked, and it seems like you can enable APOP already with --enable-apop.
So that's a non-issue, I think.

and the ability to download only headers of messages in order
to be able to delete only the message that we don't want (AntiSPAM
like , well it is more like anti download huges unwanted files )

That's more of a protocol issue.  It's not easy to do that within the
context of POP.  It _is_ possible just to get the headers within POP
.... and I suppose inc could be changed to just retrieve the headers and
make some sort of decision about whether to download the whole message
or just delete it.  But _that_ work would be complex.  Feel free
to send patches :-)

--Ken

There are tons of software that let you do this on the net, I don't believe
it is so hard to do , however this would certainly require to create a new
command in nmh and the addition of a few new options in the existing commands

However at the protocol level (POP3) everything already exists.

It is too bad I am not a programmer , so I can't help you with the task.
I am just a lowly user :)

Christophe Prevotaux      Email: c(_dot_)prevotaux(_at_)hexanet(_dot_)fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine   Direct: +33 (0)3 26 61 77 72
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center