Re: Questions about nmh 1.1

2002-07-08 11:05:45
Sigh.  I can see I'm not going to convince you.  While some software exists
to perform spam detection, integrating it into nmh would be ... challenging,
especially if you want to avoid downloading the whole message.

--Ken

Well, I've been waiting for all of the minor updates to nmh to be done before
submitting changes for this, but since it came up...

I'm working on a project to sort of do spam detection on email.  The target
mail system is nmh because it's a whole lot more modular than other mail
systems.  The reason that I say "sort of" is that it's not really a spam
detection system, it's a system to show you your mail in order from most to
least interesting as opposed to some other criteria such as order of arrival.
The system has a simple training interface: after you read a piece of mail
you rank it between -100 and 100.  No complicated expression writing a la
procmail, etc.

And I agree, downloading the entire message is the way to go.  Most spam is
very small compared to even slow V90 speeds which is what I'm stuck with out
in the country here, so it's no big deal.

I have a set of changes that I'll submit at an appropriate time.  These changes
allow .mh_profile entries that name programs that are executed whenever a piece
of mail is incorporated, removed, or refiled.

Jon

P.S.    I'd still like to see the simplified attachment handling patches that I
        submitted a year ago to be integrated at some time.  Is the next release
        the place to do it or should I wait?