Re: Questions about nmh 1.1

2002-07-08 14:23:40
On July 8, 2002 at 11:05, Jon Steinhart wrote:

And I agree, downloading the entire message is the way to go.  Most spam is
very small compared to even slow V90 speeds which is what I'm stuck with out
in the country here, so it's no big deal.

Well, I would have to disagree about spam being small and no big deal
over V90 modem.  Spam messages have been increasing in size since many
are HTML messages and some with attachments or images.  Also, if you
are flooded with alot of messages, they add up.

Of course, the annoyance factor is relative for any given person, but
when I was using dialup, I definitely considered writing my own
POP filtering tool with interactive capabilities to avoid downloading
crap (and sometimes the messages may not be spam but from friends and/or
relatives sending huge-assed attachments that I did not care about).

However, once I got cable modem, my need for such a tool dropped
considerably.

A side note: I considering spam filtering, and other filtering needs,
mainly delivery issue.  Hence, I think it is best solved done before
nmh even sees the mail (the boundary is somewhat lose when dealing
with automatic filing of messages to different folders).  This keeps
the filtering job independent of the MUA and prevent developers
re-implementing the wheel for every MUA.

I have a set of changes that I'll submit at an appropriate time.
These changes allow .mh_profile entries that name programs that are
executed whenever a piece of mail is incorporated, removed, or refiled.

A nice feature.

--ewh