Re: m_getfld (was Re: [Nmh-workers] Wishlist: Extracting Attachments from Email.)

2004-11-26 10:35:53
Jon Steinhart wrote:
Fear of m_getfld has kept me from trying this.

It's not that dreadful, is it? I grant you that it sticks its
hands deep into the guts of the C library in a dreadfully unclean
manner, but if you're just using it it's not too bad.

Is there any consensus for ripping out the code that knows about libc
innards in favour of using actual standard interfaces now that copying data
isn't so expensive? I think that would make that file much easier to
maintain, and reduce porting issues and avoid potential breakage if the libc
interface changes (or if the GNU folks find some way to restrict programs to
the public APIs).

-- PMM

It's not the dreadfulness that's the issue to me.  It's that while I think that
I know 90% of what m_getfld does, I'm sure that I'd break something if I tried
to replace it.  Unfortunately, none of the voluminous comments in the code say
what it does; they just talk about why it shouldn't be altered.  I'd be glad to
take a crack at it if someone could accurately document the routine.

Jon