Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code - the bigger picture

2005-05-18 03:09:45
From:  Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil>
Date:  Mon, 16 May 2005 14:30:40 -0400

So, I guess my general point is: I think that anyone who wants to do
_any_ work on nmh, should just Do it and commit it to the tree

As a kibitzer who doesn't have the C skills to contribute to nmh, but has
contributed tcl to exmh, I'd like to second this.  On exmh, Brent has left a
very free hand and sometimes people (certainly including myself) have committed
things that broke functionality, but we somehow have managed to get the fixes
in so that the code base has been able to improve.  I think nmh needs to have
people be unafraid to dive in and make some incremental changes.  Rather than
discussing *what* IMAP means in the context of nmh, someone needs to just
implement what they think it means.  If it doesn't quite support someone
else's need, that can be fixed.  If it can't possibly support someone else's
need, then the project can fork until one approach or the other becomes
clearly superior.

The most important thing not to break are the frontends (exmh, mhe, etc) but
let's not be afraid of breaking them in the short term because in the long
term, whatever problems turn up can be fixed.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                         Trinsic Solutions
President                               1611-B West 6th Street

512-322-0180                            http://www.trinsics.com

                 Would you rather proactively pay for
                uptime or reactively pay for downtime?

                          Trinsic Solutions