Re: [Nmh-workers] Improving reading mime email.

2005-05-19 20:48:00
Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com> wrote:
I would then like to be able to do stuff like:
      show 3037.2             show a particular part of a mime message
      show -next -mime        show the next part of a mime message or
      forw 3037.2             forward a part of a message without having

These would be good.  I used to have mh invoke lynx on html messages,
but most people actually send both text and html, so now I just read
the text (and visual scan HTML if it is only HTML).  It would be nice
to be able to say "show <according to this hierarchy" e.g. text first,
then html (via lynx -dump), then MS Word (via catdoc), etc.

invoked when messages are inc'd, rmm'd, and refiled.  Part of my project,
grokmail, builds a real database from your mail messages.  So you can do

By 'real database' do you mean a Berkeley/MySQL-type DB?  Is this sort
of like supporting IMAP?

Of course, the real magic of grokmail is that you can train it by
ranking messages on a scale of 1-10 and then scan for interesting
messages.

Like GNUS for Emacs?  That would be really cool.  Bayesian filtering of
messages would be a funky feature, and not that hard to implement, from
my PoV, e.g.:
        * Nathan currently has 20 messages in his inbox.
        * He reads the one from "My Boss" first.
        * He then reads the one from "Brother in USA"
        * He then deletes (without reading) the three with "Rx" in the
          title (that somehow escaped the spam filter).
        * &tc.

=> Emails from "My Boss" or "Brother in USA" should be highlighted /
upgraded vs. emails with Rx in title should be downgraded.  All we'd
need to do is build in some extra smarts in scan/show/rmm that
monitored how we manage new mail against the mail corpus that is
there.  Messages could then be tagged (annotated?) according to the
learning, for use/manipulation by mh/Unix tools.

re,