Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.2 failed in doing smtp authentication

2008-05-04 10:44:11
Ken Hornstein wrote:
If you base64 decode this you'll see that the user name that nmh is
sending is "zhangweiwu". So it's not paying attention to the login
specified in the .netrc, only to the password.

yes, it should pay attention to the .netrc file

Sadly the code doesn't do this at all -- the user always comes from
calling getusername(), which only does a passwd file lookup. We
don't call ruserpass() (which is what reads .netrc) until sm_get_pass(),
which will be after we've already sent the wrong username to the
server.

We could fix this by having ruserpass() be called in sm_get_user()
(plus logic to avoid calling it more than once), but I suspect this
would have irritating side-effects if you don't use .netrc (like
going from assuming the local username to prompting for it, and
prompting for a password even if the auth method only demands a
user name).

So it's not a trivial thing to fix, and perhaps we could do with
some cleanup of this area. For instance, just in playing about with
this, I found bug #23167 -- if your .netrc is world readable then
post segfaults; and it doesn't seem to close the file properly
either. Should ruserpass() call getusername() to get its default
user name?

-- PMM