Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.2 failed in doing smtp authentication

2008-05-05 09:31:57
Sadly the code doesn't do this at all -- the user always comes from
calling getusername(), which only does a passwd file lookup. We
don't call ruserpass() (which is what reads .netrc) until sm_get_pass(),
which will be after we've already sent the wrong username to the
server.

I'm starting to remember this now ... I had some of the logic in there to
handle the username, but I recall that it would have required a lot of
surgery to make it work, and I said, "Oh, I'll do it later".  Which
turned out to be never.

So it's not a trivial thing to fix, and perhaps we could do with
some cleanup of this area. For instance, just in playing about with
this, I found bug #23167 -- if your .netrc is world readable then
post segfaults; and it doesn't seem to close the file properly
either. Should ruserpass() call getusername() to get its default
user name?

That seems reasonable to me.  And yes, it looks like a general cleanup
would be useful.