Re: [Nmh-workers] Updates to nmh

2009-01-21 14:44:54
So ... what MTS are you using?  SMTP?  Or sendmail?  Does "-snoop" tell you
anything useful?  I thought what I did only affected the SMTP MTS, but
hey, I've been wrong before.

I use mts:sendmail (this is the Debian package default and generally what
I recommend people use because (a) nmh's SMTP talking code doesn't get
the corner cases of the spec right and (b) Unix systems should have a
sendmail binary that can do this kind of thing anyhow).

Weeelll ... let's just say that I don't quite agree with you on all of
those points.  I'm not saying that the sendmail MTS _shouldn't_ work;
obviously I'll fix that.  It just gets more complicated if you want to
talk to a mail server that requires authentication (yes, I know sendmail
has client-side SASL support - that's not so useful if sendmail has
to run under a user's context to get access to security credentials).

While I haven't encountered any problems with nmh's SMTP code, if you know
of problems with it I'll be glad to fix them.

This is because you're trying to use sasl_inbuffer, but this is only
allocated in smtp_init() and not sendmail_init(), so if you're using
sendmail then it just crashes...

Oops, yeah, okay, I've committed a fix for that (and for the warning you
mention below, along with missing support for -port in whatnow).