Re: [Nmh-workers] Updates to nmh

2009-01-26 18:22:13
    Date:        Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:55:13 -0500
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil>

  | People smarter than I can speak up, but I think nmh falls more in the
  | category of a mail _user_ agent, and thus RFC 4409 is more in line with
  | what nmh should be doing.

Yes.   Probably nmh should be trying the submission port (587) before
trying 25 (if we don't do that already) - and technically we're
supposed to make sure we deal in only FQDN's, and I don't think nmh
does that, but MTA-MTA rules are definitely not required for MH,
which excludes everything from 1123 related to e-mail (back then
submission was regarded as a local matter outside standardisation).

  | - Should we retry on an error?  Well, yeah, probably.  That would be
  |   difficult, I'd think (I believe you would want to back off and not simply
  |   retry right away).  Right now we simply notify the user about the failure.

And then the user retries, as often as they want to, which you could
argue is enough anyway....   The real problem we have is that it is
all to easy for a failure to just get left in dead.letter without any
visible error (I use -push ...).

  | - Since we're not doing final delivery, the server listed in mts.conf file
  |   is not a _domain_ (part of an email address) that we're connecting to, but
  |   the name of server that runs an SMTP service we can use for message
  |   submission.  As such, MX records are not appropriate.

Yes, not only not appropriate, but would be simply wrong.   Using the MX
record of the name in mts.conf would be akin to looking up the MX record
for a name found in another MX record in order to deliver there.

MX records apply only to delivery to destination mailboxes (the domain
name from an e-mail address is looked up to obtain its MX list, by the
MTS doing delivery of the message to that address), they shouldn't be
used for any other purpose at all.

kre