Re: [Nmh-workers] Updates to nmh

2009-01-27 15:59:09

kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU said:
MX records apply only to delivery to destination mailboxes (the domain name
from an e-mail address is looked up to obtain its MX list, by the MTS doing
delivery of the message to that address), they shouldn't be used for any
other purpose at all.

Actually, I'd find full MX'ing support a useful feature in nmh and most MUAs.
Today, there is no way to know that a mail has been delivered to the recipient
, or a designated box of his choosing. You always have to send via a outgoing
mail relay of some sort. :-(

An example, if you're in a legal discussion with someone (say complaining to
your online retailer), you want to make sure your messages are properly
received by the other party. The SMTP protocol provides just that guarantee,
you just have to make sure you connect and deliver to the right machine (i.e.
MX the recipient).

Unfortunately, today's broken internet infrastructure has removed this useful
feature from the mail system. If more MUAs implemented a "Guaranteed Delivery
Service" out of the box, maybe we can get proper connectivity reinstated?
<wishful thinking>

Plug this feature into Thunderbird, and watch the masses complain to their
ISPs that they cannot use "Guaranteed Delivery" via their networks... FUN!

/Anders