Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]

2010-12-02 14:34:40
Probably parts of what I said were ``lost in translation'' as English
is not my native language.

I explain again what I meant:

Using non-ASCII chars in the mail *body* together with Jon's
attachment system leads to the following cases:

(1) no attachments & only ASCII -> no MIME; everything well

(2) attachments & only ASCII -> MIME; everything well

(3) attachments & non-ASCII -> MIME; everything well

(4) no attachments & non-ASCII -> no MIME; the message contains
    non-ASCII chars; the recipient can not know which charset the
    non-ASCII chars had been.

To cover case 4, one needs to run mime at the whatnow prompt manually.

meillo

Actually, I think that I figured that out.  Maybe you haven't gotten through
the stack of emails yet.  The summary is:

 1.  The #4 case is not "legit" in rfc-land.  That doesn't mean that it wouldn't
     be a good idea to add convenience functionality.

 2.  I suggested an alternate way to do this which I think is simpler, doesn't
     break anything, and works from the LANG environment variable so that the
     charset information wouldn't have to be configured on a per-user basis.

Jon