Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]

2010-12-02 14:03:54
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
Correct me if my memory is failing me here, I'm being lazy and not rereading
rfcs at the moment because I have other things to do.

I recall that in the absence of appropriate headers messages are defined as
ASCII.  If that's the case, it strikes me that you're "fixing" something that
is convenient for you but technically not broken.

In the ideal world, what you have stated is true.  However, in the
real world, in non-English locales, character data occurs in
headers that not encoded according to MIME rules.

In my Perl app, I added an option to specify what is the default
character encoding to assume for non-encoded data.  The default
value is us-ascii (as the rfcs state), but the user can change
it to something else.

Not sure if nmh needs something similar, but if there are
users in non-English locales that have messages with non-English
non-encoded data in header fields, then allowing to specify
a default encoding to assume may be of use.

--ewh