Re: [Nmh-workers] SMTP/IMAP/POP Support

2010-12-03 20:51:25

On Dec 3, 2010, at 6:03 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

 fetchmail --proto POP3 --mda "/usr/lib/mh/rcvstore -sequence novavision
+inbox" --logfile /var/tmp/nvmail.log mail.novavision.ca

I believe when I used to do something similar, I used slocal instead of
rcvstore.  I'm sorry to say that I don't remember what made me switch,
and I might have switched the other way.  If you have a second to look
at slocal, it might be better for you.  Sorry I can't be more help.

Others would like to access an IMAP server using nmh.  I concur with
this use, but I'd also like to do the reverse:  access the email on my
laptop via IMAP from *insert-favorite-mobile-device*.  (that's what
end-to-end networking is about...)  Not just my inbox, but in fact all
my email archives, the first ten years of which is not on my laptop at
all.

This is basically what I used to do with nmh+fetchmail -- I pulled mail
down from kpop/imap sources with fetchmail into nmh for normal
reading with mh-e, and occasionally used a webmail client against the
original imap/kpop source for those special cases.  It didn't handle all
the corner-cases correctly, but it wasn't too bad.   A version of MH that
could speak IMAP natively seemed possible at the time, and I remember
brainstorming some hacks around the `anno' problem, but nothing ever
came of it, of course.

I switched away from mh-e/nmh a while ago when I suddenly needed
to care more about Word attachments, formatted email, and the like.
The built-in spam system was also a big incentive at the time.

Hope that helps,
*Chad