Re: [Nmh-workers] repl and mime handling

2012-01-18 15:42:04
But restrict the entire nmh to utf-8 charset would cripple system.

How so, specifically? Plan9 has run a native UTF8-only mail environment for ages (with a very MH-like mailstore, as well), and it's far from crippled. It stores messages in their native format, and dynamically converts message content to UTF8 whenever the underlying message is read. (There are also interfaces that let you read the message in it's raw (un-translated) format, for actions like message/rfc822 forwarding.) All new content is generated using utf-8.

In the 10 or so years I've been using it for production mail, I have never had problem with incoming mail, nor have I had issues with people not being able to read anything I sent to them. These days, pretty much any MIME capable MUA that understands character sets can handle UTF8.

As for external tools that cannot handle UTF8 text, they most likely can't handle random ISO* charsets, either.

UTF8 is where the world is going.  nmh should get on board.

--lyndon