Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Peek

2012-02-03 13:19:58
i think that we should not emit a From: without an @FQDN, or fail to
emit a From:. if the components file did not give us a From: then we
should autogenerate From: `whoami`@`hostname` and let the gods sort it
out.

So that's what we _used_ to do.  I kinda punted on that a bit.  Turns out
that kinda bites, and I'm thinking we need to do something better for
1.5.

Now that I've thought about it some more and used the current code,
I think the precedence should be (in order of higher precedence to
lower precedence):

1) From: line in draft
2) Setting in .mh_profile
3) `whoami`@`hostname`

The alternative was to only do (1).  I've been thinking about this, and
the problem here is: How do we handle this in a reasonable way?

I think the "better" solution might be this:

- Have all components run through mh-format(5).
- Install default components files that have the right magic in them to
  set up a proper From: line.

But if you do THAT then you'll still need to decide what is the "default"
email address you use.  It seems obvious here that the only place to put
that is in the .mh_profile.  So now you've implemented (2) above ((1) has
already been implemented).  But if you're concerned about bloat, this
is obviously more code than just having post DTRT.  But I do like the idea
of the draft having the From: header in it; that makes it clear what
the user's From: header will be.  I will also confess that I'm starting
to run short on time I can use to work on nmh, so the idea of writing
something larger doesn't have a huge amount of appeal to me.

- Jerry Peek, this is for you, assuming you're still around.  The
MH/nmh book is a great resource, but it hasn't been updated in a
while.  Would you be interested in updating some stuff for some of the
newer nmh features?  I'm thinking specifically of the new format/mhl
filter, SMTP server/port selection, authentication with Cyrus-SASL,
those sorts of things.  I could help you with that, it's just that I'm
not really a writer.

this likely depends on ORA thinking that a new edition might sell,
perhaps electronic-only.

I was under the vague impression that ORA gave Jerry back the book and
he can now do whatever he wants with it, but obviously Jerry is the one
to comment on that.