Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release, minor nits, and an open call to Jerry Peek

2012-02-03 13:35:21
On 2012-02-03, at 10:59 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

I thought about this ... but that would mean we ditch the installed
system components files completely, and it's not clear what we do for
existing users.

I would use the system-side components as the template to populate
the user's components file. Then again, I've never found the system
components file to be useful at any of the sites I've deployed MH
into, since the people actually using MH invariably set up their own
customized components. But I could also be persuaded to go with
getpwnam(getuid())->pw_name@gethostname().

I'm just thinking of how this works ... do we need to tell users they
have to run some "update-nmh" script?

This really all comes down to getting the domain part of the address
right. Perhaps the above getpwnam... hack with the ability to override
the RHS. E.g., if /usr/local/nmh/etc/MailDomain exists, use its
contents rather than calling gethostname() when building the implicit
default From: header.

We have the localname entry in mts.conf today, and actually that's
what it was used for.  That has a few undesirable side effects
(it's used at the hostname in the EHLO command when you're doing
SMTP, but it occurs to me that is wrong).  We could simply make
have smtp always use the "true" local name.