Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

2012-02-06 20:10:19
I've had this in my .mh_profile almost since I started using nmh:

 postproc: /usr/libexec/nmh/spost

Wow, how did you ever know to use it?

I must have had some reason for it once, but I can't recall what that
would have been now. If I don't have this, I presume post will be used
instead. It's not clear to me from the post man page what post will
actually do with the mail it's given. Will post simply do the same thing
that spost does these days?

Not exactly.

_if_ you have the sendmail mts configured (see mts.conf) then what will
happen is sendmail gets invoked with the following flags:

        -bs -oem -om -ov

(The key one here is -bs).  That invokes sendmail in the "standalone"
SMTP mode and post then talks SMTP to it.  spost runs sendmail -t and
just outputs the draft message to it.

The big difference is you don't need a From: line when doing sendmail -t;
you need one when doing SMTP (either talking to a remote server or via
sendmail -bs).  It's not clear to me what the envelope from header is set
to when you're doing sendmail -bs.