Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post

2012-03-12 11:26:17
ken wrote:
So here's what I came up with:

- Reject drafts that don't have a From: header (this was non-controversial
  as I recall).
- Allow a Sender: header in the drafts (previously post would reject
  drafts that had one; I assume that's because post had it's own idea
  what your "real" address was).
- _Require_ a Sender: header in your draft if you have multiple addresses
  in your From: header.  This is actually required by the RFCs, although
  in my limited tests it seems that this restriction is not enforced.
  But we should still make sure we're not sending out email that is
  broken (okay, we do that today for other things, but hey, that's no
  excuse for making it worse).
- Create a new draft header called Envelope-From: (not copied into the
  outgoing message).
- Choose your SMTP envelope header out of the following list (starting
  with highest priority).

  1) Envelope-From:
  2) Sender:, iff you have multiple addresses in From:
  3) From:

can i propose a slight loosening of all this?  i like the idea
of the Envelope-From: header for specifying the SMTP header, and in
my mind the only reason for the Sender: header is because the RFC
requires it -- it adds no value for most people otherwise.  so:

    - Require a From: header in the draft.
    - Create a new, optional, Envelope-From:, and allow it in the draft.
    - Allow a Sender: header in the draft
(nothing changed so far)
    - if there are multiple addresses in From:, then require at least
        one of Envelope-From: or Sender:.  create a Sender: from
        Envelope-From: if necessary, to satisfy the RFC.
    - Choose the SMTP envelope header from
        1) Envelope-From:
        2) Sender:   (no "iff" -- i don't think there's a need for that)
        3) From:

this would let most people forget all about Sender: if they choose
to (while still satisfying the RFC), and it creates a new means of
easily forcing the return address for bounces on mail with any number
of addressess in the From:  line.

paul