Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post

2012-03-12 13:22:47
lyndon wrote:
But there is another issue that we need to address.  Envelope-From:
is a valid message header.  It's remotely conceivable that someone
might have a need to use it for another purpose.  And there are
other SMTP parameters that it might be useful to set, e.g.:
deliver-by.  I don't like the idea of co-opting yet more headers
out of the 822 namespace for this.

is there any technical reason that the proposed Envelope-From: header
functionality simply be named "Return-path:"?  since i assume MH will
remove this header (whatever we call it) from the draft before
submitting to SMTP, i wouldn't think there's a conflict.

(other SMTP directives could still be done with syntax something like
that proposed by lyndon.)

paul

I would prefer to build these non-822 directives using a syntax that can't
be
confused with a valid 822 header. I suggest the format:

    metahead = "." directive *(SP params)
    directive = LETTER *(LETTER / DIGIT / "-")
    params = ; free-form text to the end of line

In the new syntax the above example would be written as:

  From: boss@example.com
  Sender: grunt@example.com
  .mail-from grunt+autodsnhandler@example.com

Post would strip out all the .foo meta-headers.  Since these headers will be
specific to the backend transport I would suggest ignoring ones unknown to
the
backend, and giving the backend the ability to print warnings, or abort the
send, if there are problems processing a recognized directive.

--lyndon