Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post

2012-03-12 15:36:55
ken wrote:
But there is another issue that we need to address.  Envelope-From:
is a valid message header.  It's remotely conceivable that someone
might have a need to use it for another purpose.  And there are other
SMTP parameters that it might be useful to set, e.g.: deliver-by.
I don't like the idea of co-opting yet more headers out of the 822
namespace for this.

is there any technical reason that the proposed Envelope-From: header
functionality simply be named "Return-path:"? since i assume MH
will remove this header (whatever we call it) from the draft before
submitting to SMTP, i wouldn't think there's a conflict.

Yes, actually, there is.

okay, i can believe that.

Think about the case when you're dist'ing a message with a Return-Path
header.  There's no way to distinguish between the existing Return-Path
header and the one you would possibly add (there is already a Resent-Sender
header that post knows how to deal with).  I'm assuming we don't want
a Resent-Return-Path header.

experimental evidence tells me that i can't send a message with a
Return-Path at all, when dist'ing messages containing one or more of
them -- all but the new one have been discarded by the time the
message reaches the recipient.  but stracing post convinces me that it's
likely postfix that's discarding them all (or perhaps gmail, which was
the recipient in this case.)

paul