Re: [Nmh-workers] mime-aware filtering?

2012-06-22 18:08:29
Paul wrote:

i realized yesterday that the ever-increasing
base64-ization of mail is starting to break my procmail
filters, some of which look into the body of the message.

I've been feeling a need for that recently, too.  While I
wouldn't mind moving away from procmail, this is its only
drawback for me.

Could a filter that decodes just the base64-encoded parts of
a message solve the problem?  It should be fairly simple,
esp. if it can rely on an existing decoder such as base64,
openssl, or MIME::Base64.  And if it doesn't worry about
signature verification.

I run a script that de-base64's text/plain parts of messages
so that I can grep them.  I invoke it manually after inc'ing
the message, but automatically decoding upstream would save
me a step.  It uses nmh programs (mhlist, and mhshow or
mhstore) so is too kludgy other than as a proof of concept
that maybe has been a bit too successful.

perhaps it would be worth it to fix slocal, but i'm not
sure it has some of the other flexibility i might want --
multiple conditions, nested conditions, etc. (am i wrong
about that?)

I agree with you and Ken that slocal isn't worth extending.

David