Re: [Nmh-workers] mime-aware filtering?

2012-06-23 10:32:10
Paul Vixie <paul(_at_)redbarn(_dot_)org> writes:
i consider MH's basic mailbox format to be flawed in a MIME world for
which MH was never designed or redesigned. every attachment should be in
its own file, even if that meant that messages were directories no
longer files themselves.

Historical note:

In the earliest discussions of what was to become mh, Stock Gaines and I (This
was even before Bruce Borden was involved) considered making messages be
directories, whose file members were components. But we dismissed the idea on
efficiency and disk storage grounds. We were thinking in terms of maybe 20 or 30
users sharing a single PDP 1145. There was also the issue of how radical to be,
in order to gain acceptance in a world where not messages, but folders, or even
ensembles of folders were single files.

    Norman Shapiro