Re: [Nmh-workers] sortm's Default of all is Brain-Damaged.

2012-10-11 13:17:05
ken wrote:
Once again I've been bitten by a lone `sortm' defaulting to `all' when I
intended to do `sortm lp'.  On a folder of some 20,000 emails that quite
perturbs incremental backups!  `rmm' doesn't default to `all' so I'm not
sure sortm should;  it's too destructive as the old order may not be
reproducible.

Hm.  I guess to me "sortm" defaulting to "all" makes sense; I mean,
don't you want to that the vast majority of the time?  (I'm guessing
"lp" is a sequence you created?).  And I guess I always figured the
order of messages was ephemeral; that's why sortm exists, after
all.

But I can't claim to be the arbiter of how people use nmh; what do others
think?

i almost never sort an entire folder -- usually i just sort the unseen
sequence, or some other small batch of messages.

rather than changing the default behavior by default, how about adding
an option to change the default behavior.  :-)
    sortm -noall
would error out if no other args are given.  clearly this would be most
useful as profile entry.

paul