Re: [Nmh-workers] Quoted printable problem

2012-12-17 10:09:59
I got the following email and nmh could not display it. The problem was
that it specified "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable" in the
header (illegal according to rfc2045, and then the first MIME part is
8bit - confusing). It did show up in the scan listing without errors. I
don't know if this is to be considered a bug or not. The error message
was:

"multipart/mixed type in message X must be encoded in 7bit, 8bit, or binary"

Funny, this must be some kind of new email software that just
got released, because I got one of those a few weeks ago.

So, the RFCs are correct that the only type of encoding permitted in
a multipart content-type header is 7bit, 8bit, or binary.  (Obviously
the parts can use whatever encoding they want).  So nmh is throwing up
it's hands and saying, "Hey, what the hell?".  But clearly we now have
messages coming out that are busted and we have to deal with them.

I'm thinking that maybe the safest thing to do is print a warning and
assume 8bit; what do others think?