Re: [Nmh-workers] The function, void admonish (char *what, char *fmt, ...)

2013-01-08 08:44:48
Norm wrote:

It seems to me (it's been decades since I programmed in C) that
admonish does very little for programmers, except induce them to
issue frustratingly ambiguous (sometimes dangerously ambiguous)
error messages; that directly calling advertise would be very little
extra trouble and would avoid that inducement. I'm not suggesting a
wholesale elimination of all 89 present calls to admonish. I'm
merely suggesting that admonish be deprecated via an appropriate
comment, in error.c, just above admonish.

admonish() tacks the "continuing..." string onto whatever it
passes along to advertise().  That's all it does.

Calling advertise() would be no extra trouble.  But I don't see
your point.  Is "continuing..." not always appropriate?

If there are dangerously ambigous warning messages, they'll have
to be fixed one at a time.  Suggestions welcome :-)

David