Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

2013-03-09 08:56:28
* a "show" that removed a message from the unseen sequence
* a "mark" that removed anything from any sequence that they use

Okay, I think these will be fine.

If we have one window running "inc" and another window running "show",
let's say at the start of inc we have:

unseen: 2-5

inc starts running, it reads this sequence in.  You then do "show 4".
Right before the message is displayed the sequence file is locked, read,
and written so it's now:

unseen: 2-3 5

inc finished incorporating new messages, then open, locks, and re-reads
the sequence file.  It then sets the necessary sequences and writes out
the sequence file.  Let's say we have two new messages.  It should then
write out:

unseen: 2-3 5-7

Make sense?

* a "refile" that made a heckuva mess

You're running refile the same time as an "inc" or "pick"?  I'm trying
to see how that's not a recipe for disaster, no matter what :-) Well,
actually, I think in the refile case that's one where the sequence file
should be locked for the whole operation; if that's done, it should
work out fine. "folder -pack" is actually one I'm unsure about ... but
I am leaning toward having the sequence file locked during that whole
operation as well.