Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

2013-03-09 09:24:03
Ken wrote:

Make sense?

Your small examples do, but there's nothing to stop dangerous
concurrent operations, which we're starting to get to:

* a "refile" that made a heckuva mess

You're running refile the same time as an "inc" or "pick"?

It can happen, such as with cron jobs.

I'm trying to see how that's not a recipe for disaster, no
matter what :-) Well, actually, I think in the refile case
that's one where the sequence file should be locked for
the whole operation; if that's done, it should work out
fine. "folder -pack" is actually one I'm unsure about
... but I am leaning toward having the sequence file
locked during that whole operation as well.

No doubt.  At this point, I'm not sure what the criterion is
for deciding whether an operation needs to be locked.  So I
think that all of them need to be.

David