[Nmh-workers] De-MIMEing

2013-07-15 12:39:49

My apologies if what I'm going to ask about is all FAQ type stuff.
I have to confess that although I've been using (N)MH for over 10
years, I only know at a really very superficial level how it works
and how to properly configure it.

As I'm sure you all know, the world went MIME a long time ago.
Still, there are a few of us "plain text" holdouts, like me,
who still do not wish to read their e-mails in anything that
has the slightest possibility of following links... an act
which might confirm the deliverability of my e-mail address
to spammers.

So anyway, in order to de-MIMEify my e-mails into plain text,
I have written a smallish Perl script that takes care of that
for me according to my preferences.  I call my little script
"mtext".  It works great.  I have arranged things with MH so
that for each incoming e-mail, when I do "show" the current
message gets passed through "mtext" just prior to being dis-
played.  All "mtext" does is to take the original message and
extract from it the topmost set of headers and then also *just*
any text/plain or text/html MIME sections.  The former (text/plain)
sections are then nicely line wrapped before being displayed.
The latter however (text/html sections) are passed through the
lynx browser, operating in batch mode, in order to render the
HTML MIME parts into plain text.  For any other kinds of MIME
parts encountered, "mtext" mostly just ignores them, but prints
out a terse little one-line warning message indicating the
specific Content-Type involved, just so that I know they are
there.

This all suits me and my preferences perfectly.  The only problem
is that I have only been able to figure out how to arrange for
MH to invoke my little "mtext" filter/reformatter *only* for
cases where I am doing a "show" operation.  I really would like
to get it invoked also in all cases whene I am doing "repl".
Can someone tell me or given me guidance on how to do that?

Regards,
rfg