Re: [Nmh-workers] De-MIMEing

2013-07-15 17:41:37
I wrote mha-mhedit a long time ago, so I am not sure the "magic" you
mention was possible in earlier versions of nmh (and in MH itself).

If it was, I was not aware of it, and took an approach that works based
on the knowledge I had of MH/nmh at the time.

It definitely was not, because I wrote it :-)  First appeared in 1.5.

I definitely needed an approach that provide access to the entire mail
message.

It turns out for parsing the MIME content all you really need is the
Content-Type header and the Content-Transfer-Encoding header; nmh already
has pretty good tools for getting access to arbitrary headers.  Required
some surgery to the format engine to make it work the way we needed for
this application, though.

Unless someone already has mhonarc (or does not mind installing it), I
think Ken's script is the way to go until nmh can natively handle
formatting replies to MIME messages better.

Yeah, I have some thoughts in that direction, but it's going to be a big
job.  replyfilter was my attempt at a stop-gap solution.