Re: [Nmh-workers] mojibake in UTF-8 encoded quoted-printable messages

2013-10-24 07:56:48
Just out of curiousity ... did you produce this message with nmh?  I ask
because it didn't actually have proper MIME encoding.  This can happen
when you use nmh but don't run mhbuild on the message, for example (my
plans are to make this automatically happen for 1.6).

I've noticed recently that I'm getting some mojibake in messages from
a few sources. Both examples I have handy have a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/html part, and one also has a quoted-printable UTF-8
encoded text/plain part.

Alright, so you're in a UTF-8 locale, which solves one problem; we don't
support iconv, which is also something I'm working at fixing for 1.6  I am
assuming you're using "mhshow" to look at these messages.  Stupid question
time: do these messages decode properly when you mhstore them?  If
you look at them without a pager, do they appear correct?  I just tested
things here with mhshow and 1.5, and it worked correctly.

Really, nmh just decodes the quoted-printable and writes it to standard
output.  If you're seeing the UTF-8 bytes but they're not being interpreted
as UTF-8, then I'm unsure what is going wrong.